This section will create a backup of your device’s internal NAND memory on your SD card, which will allow you to restore your device via a hardmod in the case of a brick.
A backup of the MLC partition is optional as it’s huge in size, and most bricks that need MLC to be restored are done by user-error.
If you want a full backup including MLC, and have a black Wii U (32GB) model, your SD card must be at least 64GB in size. If you have a white (8GB) Wii U model, your SD card must be at least 16GB in size.
- Enter the Homebrew Launcher by holding (A) while launching your Haxchi DS virtual console game
- Launch nanddumper
- Use the D-Pad to set the following options:
- Dump SLC (528MB): yes
- Dump SLCCMPT (528MB): yes
- Dump MLC (8GB/32GB): optional
- Dump OTP (1KB): yes
- Dump SEEPROM (1KB): yes
- Press (A) to dump your NAND
- Be prepared to wait; this can take a while (up to several hours depending on the options you enabled)
- When it has completed, your Wii U will reboot automatically
- Power off your device
- Insert your SD card into your computer
seeprom.bin, and each
mlc.bin.partfile (if you chose to backup the MLC partition) from the root of your SD card to a safe location on your computer
- Make backups in multiple locations (such as online file storage)
- These backups will save you from a brick and/or help you recover files from the NAND image if anything goes wrong in the future
- Reinsert your SD card into your device
- Power on your device
This method requires that you rerun the web exploit used above after every reboot.
Continue to Mocha CFW
This method uses a cheap exploitable DS Virtual Console game to launch your Custom Firmware automatically at boot.